Fewer Toxins in the Home:
Americans have been overusing disinfectants. Recent studies link certain chemicals in cleaning products to health problems such asthma and allergies, to attention disorders, and cancer. Although we have learned that disinfectants kill microorganisms such as bacteria, which can spread disease, many people believe that disinfectants produce a “cleaner clean.” This is not necessarily true. It is actually a regular cleaner that eliminates dirt. A disinfectant should actually be used sparingly in the home, especially if your home relies on a septic system, which relies on bacteria to function properly.
One of the most common, and overused disinfectants is chlorine bleach, which contains dangerous chemical compounds that are extremely toxic. Oxygen bleach is another type of common bleach but it does not have the same disinfecting capabilities as chlorine bleach. Hydrogen peroxide is a better choice of bleach, however it must be left on for at least ten minutes to kill germs.